Thursday, May 13, 2010

Number 51

Have you ever been walking into your favorite fast-food restaurant, and just before you make it to the door you hear someone ask you a question “Can you spare some change?” You don’t recognize the voice, but at the same time you know exactly what is going on. This guy (based on broad generalizations) is dressed a little shabby, half the time has a great big bushy beard, and is always wearing several jackets. Yes, I am talking about that homeless guy that hangs out right outside your local Burger King. Yet, how often do we who are more fortunate than others give them some money or even give them some of the food that we are there to get?
Myself, I have always seen these people, but rarely think to give from what it is that I have to them. Have I become that callused that I won’t give just a little bit of what I have? It’s not like it would be difficult for me to give a dollar or buy an extra burger, but I still just don’t give. As part of the 50 things that I am doing for other people, I decided that I wanted to make a point of giving to the next homeless person that I saw some food; whether that be some of my own food or making a point of buying some extra. I wanted to provide to someone that has less than me.
Once again, Ben was with me when I decided to take care of this item of things that I want to do before I die. We had decided to make a run to Burger King for lunch, so I offered to drive on over to the BK Lounge. As we approached the BK Lounge we made the executive decision to walk inside due to the drive-thru always taking much too long to even be worthwhile. As we were making our way to the door, an older man asked us if we could spare a quarter, as neither of us had a quarter or any cash on hand we politely answered that we didn’t have anything. As soon as I was inside the door I realized that this was my opportunity to give this guy a nice little meal. I got up to order and made a point of ordering an extra burger that I had no intention of eating, but I was happy to pass on to this guy. As I waited for my food I began to get that feeling of nervous excitement you get right before the birthday kid is about to open the present that you gave them. Will they like it? I don’t know. But what I do know is that I will feel good because I went out of my way to provide for this man. As we get our food and leave the BK Lounge I step outside and I am ready to deliver the burger to this guy, but he has moved. I felt such disappointment to not have fulfilled my plan. On my walk to my truck, I see the man has not gone far; we pull out and drive up to the corner where that man has moved to. I passed the burger to Ben, who then passed it along to the man. While we drove away we kept looking back to see if he had opened the burger to begin eating it. And even though we never saw him open the burger, I know that even this little thing could make a big difference in this man’s life.
It is interesting how those times when you do something for someone else you find the most joy in your own life....

No comments:

Post a Comment